One of the big reasons why now is the prime time to maintain an eCommerce website is that consumers are online more than ever. According to Absolunet’s COVID-19 x eCommerce Report sales have jumped:
- +105% in Sporting Goods
- +106% in Furniture and Home Decor
- +160% in Food and restaurants
- +161% in Appliances, Electronics, Building Materials and DIY
Once forced to buy online because of COVID-19, many consumers will continue to do their shopping online, now accustomed to the experience and convenience.
Because your target audience will be spending so much time online, I’m sharing some common problems that often come up and how to improve your eCommerce store:
1. You’re on the wrong platform.
You’ve probably heard about the popular eCommerce website builders that allow you to build and maintain an eCommerce website without any coding or design knowledge. Basically, you drag and drop text and images into a template.
Some of the most popular eCommerce website builders include:
- Square Online Store
While many non-professionals love to recommend using these DIY site builders, there are some disadvantages to them, including:
- Lack of customization. Because there are limits to what you can and can’t do, your site may look fairly generic and be missing the unique touches you can get with a professionally designed site.
- Limited sub-navigation. Squarespace, for example, only allows one sub-navigation. So it’s not suitable for bigger websites that need a deeper menu hierarchy.
- Non-transferable features. If your business has grown and you need something different, it can be very difficult (and costly) to transfer your site away from popular eCommerce website builders.
- Lack of ownership control. With your site being housed on a 3rd party platform, you are technically not the owner of your own data. If you fail to comply with their terms and conditions, even innocently, you could have your site shut down without notice and no way to retrieve your valuable files.
- Poor SEO Optimization. Typically drag and drop web page builders create a lot of excess code, which adversely affects the site’s organic reach in search engines. Moreover, some 3rd party builders do not facilitate critical tracking codes needed for proper SEO and SEM analysis.
- Hidden Costs. Often the lure of free or low monthly fees is what seems appealing on the surface. However, there’s often a limited number of pages or features available unless you pay more for them.
Sadly, many small business owners who were lured by the free or low price tag find themselves stuck on a platform that just doesn’t work for them and that’s when they turn to us for help. If that’s happened to you, let us know.
With the right professional website develoment company, you’ll get a beautiful and functional online store you can not only be proud of, but will get you the sales you want. It will stand out from the competition and seamlessly reflect your branding-and, it will be able to grow with your business.